Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Long Time No Post


Well my posting has slowed to a crawl and then a stop! Life has this way of insinuating itself into well, LIFE! I have been dealing with small issues that have conspired to keep me from my blog posting.

I am almost 51 years old with children who are almost 25 and almost 22. (ALL of our birthdays are in April!) I also have parents who are 81. This puts me in that category of the "sandwich generation" being sandwiched between having a "child" that I am still responsible for, and having parents that I am also responsible for. Not complaining but sometimes these responsibilities keep me hopping and then I just don't feel like posting on my blog. My brain is empty and I want to chill with a book! My dad had a cancer on his ear which the dermatologists office blew way out of proportion. Yeah I know he had a melanoma several years ago, but jeez don't scare the old folks (and their family members) until we know what we are dealing with!

Turns out to be an aggressive, but not too bad skin cancer but it had to go fairly quickly. Dad goes to the pre-surgery stuff and they discover an irregular heart beat. OK great! He never felt a thing! After several days in the hospital with every non-invasive test for the heart, they shocked him (not with the bill, Medicare, remember?) with an electric shock to get the heart rhythm back to normal. It worked just fine! While he was there though, they discovered his sleep apnea that we ALL KNEW HE HAD! Come on, Dad! That snoring HAS to be sleep apnea since we can hear you stop breathing! I blew the whistle on him so they were listening for it in the hospital! Ha! He had a sleep study. Then he had the surgery on his ear. Poor Dad never really had a lot of problems. My mom, yes, but Dad? Heck no! I go with my parents to nearly all doctor appointments since they can't always remember what the doctor tells them. Sometimes I don't remember either! Next up, a C-Pap machine for the apnea. Turns out, sleep apnea can cause heart arrhythmia.

We also have a new puppy that keeps me hopping! He is sweet and growing fast! He was such a little guy but in two months he is like a teenager in the dog world.

This has been my life. Nothing serious, really, but enough to keep me on my toes. I WILL be posting more here soon!

3 comments:

  1. I'm just so very glad things are settling down for you! Your dad will get the best sleep of his life on that C-Pap machine, if he can get used to wearing it! They are wonderful, wonderful inventions!

    It's nice to see you posting again, if even only once! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! My brother scared the you-know-what out of my dad about the c-pap. He uses some sort of dental appliance instead. Hopefully they will be able to use the darned thing. I did see this on TV and looked it up: nomask.com

    He may like that better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! That's interesting! I hope your dad gives the c-pap a shot. It's really worth it, but then, if he can't seem to get the hang of it to maybe go to the nomask. That's really interesting.

    I remember when I had my first sleep study that I got mad when they woke me up to make me go home. They'd had me put the c-pap on at some point in the night, and it was the first time I felt like I'd actually ever slept in my life! Then I had surgery, and I don't have to wear one, but I got used to it pretty darn quick! :) Hope your dad does, too!

    ReplyDelete