Monday, April 19, 2010

Unschooling Smear

I clicked on an article on Parent Dish, which should have already warned me not to, and discovered this article about unschooling. The article is written by ABC news after the reporter talked to a couple unschooling families. My blood is boiling over this because it totally misrepresents unschooling and does not have follow-up about unschooled kids who are now grown. Why didn't ABC news talk to some of those people? Probably because it would not meet with their agenda to smear the homeschooling community and the more "radical" unschoolers. Can you tell it pisses me off?

My kids were unschooled. My son was 10 and my daughter was 13 when we first began the homeschooling journey that quickly led us to unschooling. They were in charge of their education, for the most part, even to this day. My son is graduating from the university in May with a degree in economics and my daughter graduated a few years ago with two degrees, one in real estate and one in finance. Obviously unschooling works and allowing your child to have control over his education is a good plan. I call it being respectful to your child. Is it for everyone? I would have to say NO WAY! However, if you are interested in unschooling pop me an email. It can be found in my profile. Unschooling, it works.

You can read the offensive article here:
The Unschooling Movement: School's Out Forever

No comments:

Post a Comment