Monday, June 8, 2009

Unschooling Math Idea

When we started homeschooling back in 1998 my daughter was 13 and had just finished 7th grade at the Catholic school. I didn't have any particular math plan for the homeschooling right away since I was not sure she was ready for Algebra so I made up something for her to do. I drew out a very basic house floor plan with two bedrooms, a kitchen, living room and bathroom. Some of the walls had length in feet and some did not although one could figure out the dimensions of the entire house with the information given. Along with this floor plan I gave her a budget (can't remember the dollar amount anymore) and then I gave her various "projects" that she had to do on her house. Sadly I can't remember the whole thing anymore but one of them was to buy carpet for one of the bedrooms where she had to figure out how much she would need (figuring out room dimensions in feet and carpet sold by the square yard). Another was to figure out how much paint she would need to paint the walls of one room if the ceiling was 8 feet and she needed X number of gallons to cover Y amount of square feet. The last thing she had to do was buy furniture for the house all within the budget. There was much more to it but I can't remember it now. Damn getting old! She actually liked this project a lot! Maybe it prepped her for last summer when she and her husband bought a house that needed a lot of cosmetic work! They painted all the interior walls and had all new flooring installed. Oh and they bought furniture as well. I wonder if she had thought of this project? Maybe I prepared her for it back in 1998 when she was 13!

No comments:

Post a Comment